Thursday, March 22, 2012

Happy Birthday, Madeleine



Today is Maddy's birthday. Much like every other parent out there, I find myself marveling at how quickly the time has passed. Much like every parent out there, I find myself wanting the world she grows up in to be a better one than it is.

I've been reading a lot about human rights, been reading bell hooks and a lot of blogs, and following all the women's rights issues that are being stirred up by the upcoming election, and also the continuing turmoil in Egypt and the women who are being abused and violated because they speak out, and the case of Trayvon Martin, the young black kid who was shot for walking through the wrong neighborhood at night with a bag of skittles and a can of tea. Some days I'm just infuriated, and sad, and overwhelmed. But I want the world to be better than it is, and I believe that the best way to do that is to educate myself, and to be a better person. I cannot change what's outside without addressing what is inside. I cannot raise my child to be open and loving and respectful of all peoples if I do not set that example for her myself.

A friend of mine posted a link to a blog post about bullying, and a letter the blogger has written to her young son to read when he is older. It is beautiful, and so full of love, and it is so apt right now. Because if the world is to be a place where everyone is ACTUALLY EQUAL, regardless of their sex, race, social status, culture, religion, body type, clothing, or any other feature we choose to prejudge others on, it has to begin with us, and with our children. I want to share it with you, because I think it may be the most awesome thing I've read in a long time. It being Maddy's birthday, I may just write a letter to her myself.

A Mountain I’m Willing to Die On

Happy Birthday, babycakes:)

No comments: