Monday, February 27, 2012

Back in the studio

The entire weekend nearly passed before I was able to get into the studio. I allotted myself three hours, but it really wasn't enough time. How I long for a good 6 hour chunk of studio time! Maybe once Maddy is weaned.

I got a glaze kiln loaded with all the tests and experiments my classes and I did this week. I'm excited to see the results of this firing on Tuesday. I'm hoping my owl rattle and underglaze bowl turn out.

I tested some of those free underglazes on a little bird sculpture from a class demo. It has like 20 different colors on it! I'm really pleased with the range of colors in that set, though. I was worried that they were too old and dried out, but a little water and stirring and they were just fine.


I don't know what I'm doing with that little closed form house. It has more copper stain on it, but I haven't fired it yet. Debating whether to paint it now with underglazes, or wait and just glaze it. Hmmm. I think I was daydreaming of having a house of our own some day when I doodled on it. What I wouldn't give for a little cottage home and corner of space to work in!

Thinking I'm doing slab building this week, but I haven't quite made up my mind on what to make. I'm always partial to boxes, but something more sculptural and less functional would be a nice change.

4 comments:

Nichol Brinkman said...

Lori!! Thanks so much for your nice words about my blog, AND for reading my artist talk! I didn't think anyone was. I love your work, and I too am shy. This Bloomington Market, we must talk! Thanks again! You sent many people to my blog!

Best,
Nichol

Unknown said...

Amazing Photos......Thanks for sharing
Day care in Bangalore

Unknown said...

Thank you both! Nichol, I read every word with relish. I was behind on my blog reader, so I came in at the part about Prague, but then I went back and read the rest, and followed the rest as you posted it. I love reading about how artists get to where they are, and your story was a good one. Might not see you at this Bloomington Market, as I didn't apply. I didn't expect to be able to make enough work in time. But I might drop in just to say hi!

Julia said...

When my son was born, as soon as he was able to sit up by himself, I strapped him in a high chair next to my wheel with little balls of clay to play with. Now that he's older, if he's home, he still next to me in my studio (even has his own wheel...). But I remember that the gap between when he was born and when I could get back to working in the studio the way I'd used to seemed eternally long. :)