Saturday, March 20, 2010

Day 79: Old-Timey Pottery

I'm really getting back into the swing of things with ceramics. I'm getting pretty pumped about all the things on my rapidly growing project list. I have missed throwing so much! I feel like this long, bitter winter was really hard on my depression, and spring is giving me new life and energy. Lame, I know, blaming my lack of artwork on seasonal depression. I guess it was also my work schedule and a lot of other things like money troubles keeping me from wanting to make anything. Now I can't wait to sit down at the wheel everyday.

I was looking at a lot of rustic and antique functional pottery today. One of Nich's new bosses saw these thumb-controlled watering jugs at a pottery shop in Pennsylvania, and wanted to know if I could make her one, so I looked them up, along with some other items I'm interested in trying to make. Some of these things are pretty brilliant, really. I wonder why people don't still have bird bottles on their houses, or use french butter bells (they keep your butter soft and fresh for a freaking month without refrigeration - that's amazing to me!) With all this green eco-friendly mania going around, you'd think these kinds of things would be back in vogue.


Two large dog bowls I'm making for the KPR volunteers, all trimmed and drying out. It's kind of ridiculous that these are the biggest bowls I've ever made (and they're not even 12 inches wide). Makes me want to try to make giant vessel sink bowl big enough to stick my head in, just to see if I can.

I haven't started the cups yet, because I spent the day having a picnic and a nice walk with my husband and our friend Laura. It was so nice to get out in the sun and enjoy Spring for the first time this season. I've had a nap, so I think I'll stay up late and get started on those cups now.

Finally, here is an MS paint drawing made by my husband of him destroying me in Mortal Kombat (which would never happen, btw - I have laser vision, and I'm way more hardcore than him) in response to my friend Narciso's Mortal Kombat-like fight screen. My hubs is the one with the mohawk, and I'm the one in the killer shades.

I feel as though a future IndieVISUAL entry will have to be a response to this effrontery. Can't you feel the romance?

No comments: