Thursday, June 17, 2010

Bad days

I started a 30 hour long training class this week in which my instructor is, lets just say, less than pleasant (I can feel veins popping in my head whenever she speaks to me). After several dragging, frustrating, infuriating hours of class Tuesday night, followed by my regular night shift (in which I made lots of mistakes and got even more frustrated), I got off from work 10 hours later to find that my car wouldn't start. I didn't get home to bed until 7am. Later that same day, my husband's car went out as well. I went the next day with very little sleep, and mounting bad news about the state of our cars, to finally go back into work for another day of training from hell followed by another shift. Needless to say, I was feeling pretty burnt out during class, so instead of paying attention, I did what I always did during boring lectures in college: I doodled on my workbook. Given my frustration with pretty much the entire week, this is one of the things I drew:



This elicited several chuckles from my classmates sitting near me, so I pulled out my sketchbook and did another version, followed by a second drawing. I decided they'd make good plate designs for my next project.




I'm glad class is proving somewhat productive in this respect.

Did I mention that it's been storming torrentially all week? And I keep getting caught in it? Like, drenched in 15 seconds kind of storming? This week has been rife with inspiration.
If I can think of more to draw today, I'm hoping to make this into a series, maybe for display at Oranje in September.

Which reminds me! I got accepted to Oranje 2010! So if you're in town September 18th, come visit my booth. It's $20 to get in, there are about 75 bands and maybe 150-200 artists. I'll probably get to start building my booth/installation in August. Wish me luck.

Wish me luck on these stupid cars, too. And this incredibly patient and pleasant instructor of mine. I CANNOT wait for this week to end. I see a lot of cocktails in my future.

No comments: