Saturday, January 15, 2011

Manic energy burst

I haven't thrown on the wheel in weeks, so I decided to set a little challenge for myself. I was checking my Google reader list and came across Cinderelish's blog entry about the 12 by 12 noon challenge set by Michael Kline. Since I've been wanting to work on making better mugs, I decided to make 12 of those.

I've decided to let go of my obsession with trying to make perfectly smooth, round, mugs that look like they've been slipcast with no warping. My cups need some personality.

This one is my favorite.

Unfortunately, I work an overnight job, and get home around 5am, so I didn't even make it down to the basement until 10:30 or 11am. I also decided some of my mugs needed feet, and they all needed to be altered a little, since I was getting bored with the forms I've made in the past, so I made things a little bit complicated for myself. By the time all the mugs were finished, it was 4pm! Oh well. The cool thing is, I got 12 mugs done, took a nap, and then went into the studio for my first class with our new Artist in Residence, Rachel Bleil. I got back on the wheel and made two new doll jars as well. Crazy productive day for me!


I had work that night, however, and I guess I just don't have the energy and stamina I did prepregnancy. Lack of sleep and all that throwing plus working overnight really wore me out. I've been sore all day, and my hands are cramping up a bit. But I went back to the studio today and started making some stamps and tiles, and then came home, drew on a couple of my mugs, and finally decided I need to listen to some Radiohead and bake a cake. Where all this energy is coming from, I have no idea!
Thom Yorke's awesomely weird face on a mug.

Blur lyrics, and my grandma's kitchen drawn from memory.

Doctored yellow cake mix cake with butter, sour cream, orange extract, and homemade chocolate frosting.
This weekend I'm gonna keep up the momentum. I have two back to back shifts at the studio, so I have lots of time to work. There's a couple of juried shows with deadlines coming up that I'd like to enter, so I've got to get cracking. More on those next post.

No comments: