Monday, December 28, 2009

The indieVISUAL Journal Challenge


After doing a whole lot of nothing artistically for the last month or two, I got a wicked new set of watercolor markers for Christmas and a big blank sketchbook. Relatives keep asking why I don't paint anymore (the whole ceramics thing still mystifies them - wasn't I a painting major?) and I've been pretty stuck for ideas on the whole. I need to sketch more.

A very talented young artist who goes by the name of Maddiox (check out her lovely lovely illustrations - and she's only 16!) has proposed a visual journal challenge - one sketchbook page a day for a year, and they must be shared with your fellow artists via blog. The idea is to get a big group of artists doing this all year so we can compare sketchbooks. I decided I'm totally in. I need this.

Here's a preview of what's to come - my Christmas day sketchbook page done with my new markers.

My goal here is to take 30 minutes a day to sit down and draw something, and try to fill the page. We'll see how it goes. Hopefully my drawing skills will get less crappy as time goes on. As the eternal procrastinator and quintessential lazy artist, my expectations are limited as to whether I'll complete this, but maybe if you yap at me enough, I'll feel guilty enough to keep it going. Wish me luck.

No comments: